Monday, February 21, 2011

The beginning

Greetings to all readers, wanderers, scholars, wonderers, ponderers, and boredom-saters.  This blog, which I have no doubt will exist only as the vehicle for my meager reflections on the works of giants, is the result of my attempt to make sense of the world around me.  A bit of background on me: I grew up a Christian, but it was always stressed to me that I should respect all beliefs, and my parents' response to most of my questions about philosophy or religion was "go read about it."  I am immensely grateful to them for that.  I have come to view Islam, Christianity, and Judaism as three brothers who occaisonally fight but who still have the same parent.  My knowledge about Buddhism, Daoism, and Hindu is scant, but I am always impressed by whatever I read from those religions, and I want to learn as much as I can.  I know little pure philosophy from either Eastern or Western schools, only what I have been assigned to read in school, but I plan on changing that as soon as possible.  I welcome any and all suggestions of works to read or learn about; I feel one should never refuse knowledge, understanding, or perspective.  I welcome comments, because in discussion are sown the seeds of understanding.  Please remember, though, that any comments must be respectful of all beliefs.  No anti-Semite, anti-Muslim, anti-Christian, or anti-anything else will be tolerated.  I hope everyone will adhere to these requests, so all involved will have the chance to learn what they wish.  With the ground rules out of the way, let the rumination begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment